Montag, 27. Januar 2014

My contribution for #LLreinvention

Hey folks and a warm "Servus" from Vienna,

since I am a very constant reader of The Nailasaurus, I noticed she took part in the 31 Day Challange, where you post a new mani every day for 31 days to a specific topic. Since this would be simply unable for me, I was very excited when she posted from an initiative called The Lacquer Legion, a monthly challenge - which is much easier to achieve for me.

The Theme for January '14 was "reinvention". I've read it and had no idea how to interpret this. Then I came up with an "artist" kind of view on this theme. Here is the result!


Since I am not only a technician but also finished commercial college, I thought about a product life cycle, which is driven by - exactly - invention. When the sales rates begin to break down, you start a process driven by reinvention to improve and redesign your product, leading to a relaunch in the market. That was the idea behind this design.

I have to say that I am really sorry for only having two photos, but since it is very dark outside and having no sunlight and very bad lighting here inside, it is hard to capture photos that show the colors nearly as they are AND are not blurry.



Utilities
Layla Ocean Rush (Holographic Polish)
Layla Ultra Violet (Holographic Polish)
Kiko Black (No. 275)
OPI Alpine Snow
Striping Tape
Tweezers (for taking the striping tape off without ruining your design)

It was my 2nd try with striping tape and the first one with creating (nearly) symmetric designs. Therefore, I am satisfied with the result, although there is much room for improvement. Especially, I need a thicker striping tape, because the lines are simply too tiny for me. 
I started off with Essie Trillionails and then with Essie All In One Base as a base coat. I applied 3 thick coats (those Layla polishes are a bitch!) of Layla Ocean Rush and Layla Ultra Violet for the accent nails. I chose those colors because I really love holographic polishes as a base for a striping design. I also decided to choose matching colors because violet is very close to blue on a color palette, to represent the first product is still in its follower.
The arrows, achieved with the striping tape, should represent the process of invention and then reinvention. I used black for the invention phase because you in product design you don't know whether the consumers will like your product or not. White is much more positive, so if you have already feedback influencing the follower, it will be much easier to relaunch the product. 
White for layering to design a striping design is really really tricky, because you have to take off striping tape while polish is still wet - and I take about 2-3 coats of white for a perfect white without (or with a minimum of) brushstrokes and still seeing the base color. So if you are able to avoid white for a striping design, or if you are not as stubborn as me ("I NEED THIS COLOR FOR MY DESIGN EVEN IF I KNOW IT WILL NOT WORK, GNAH!!!!"), or if you are more skilled to apply white in only one coat, please DO IT!!! 

Anyways, as I mentioned before, there is still some room for improvement. But I will keep on to practice with striping tape, and maybe, I can reinvent this design someday!
I really hoped to give you a photo in sunlight to see the holographic colors shining, but unfortunately, here is only foggy-snowy weather.


Keep on polishing,

Bea

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen