Freitag, 7. März 2014

Textured Chevrons

Hello folks and a warm "Servus" from Vienna,

so this week I present to you the mani I wanted to do on the day I got my Sally Hansen Satin Glams :D this is my very first attempt at chevrons, so I would like to share some experience I got during this about two hours of creating this mani!







First let's start off with the utilities you need!

Utilities & Colors
Kiko No. 255
Zoya Pixie Dust Carter
Matte Top Coat (I used Essie Matte About You)
Chevron Scissors
Scotch Tape
Pair of tweezers (to take the scotch tape off without getting your fingers dirty ;))




I started off with one coat of Essie Trillionails and added one coat of Essie All In One Base, as I usually do. Then I put on two coats of Kiko No. 255, a beautiful violet with various sized holo sparkles which I bought because I wanted to use this polish for galaxy nails. I was curious to see this matte one day, and this combination was the first base I thought of when this mani idea came to my mind. And the result is fully satisfying! After one coat of Essie Matte About You, when the color gets matte, it shows a very different side - it seems to be a little darker, and the holo sparkles seem pink or lighter violet. The perfect base for the chevrons! I wanted to do a matte base because I didn't want to frame the chevrons with a lighter color, and if everything sparkled that much, this would have faded the chevrons out.

I wanted to do a single chevron at the cuticle, and full "chevronized" accent nails. I started with painters tape and putting one part on the tip and limit it with another chevron tape from the cuties. And then I reused it for every nail. And this was a bad idea, because the drying polish on the edges of the tapes smoothed the chevrons out and made them waves. It was also hard to cut thin stripes off the painters tape.
For the accent nails I switched to scotch tape and got a good technique after a few minutes. I cut the scotch tape off with the chevron scissors, and then put the chevronized ending on the chevron scissors again in the size I wanted the stripes to be. Then I cut it off and voila! Much better result with less troubles. I tried to capture this for you in the following photograph.

My waste dump :D but I think you can see the thickness of the chevrons here

Cut ... and action!


So when I had my stripes I put them on my nail, and painted Zoya Carter on it to create the textured effect. And this was the result.




Next time I'll only use scotch tape from the beginning and hopefully the chevrons will look more like chevrons, but I'm quite satisfied with the result for a first attempt.

If you enjoyed the idea of textured chevrons or you would like to share your experience with chevron mani, please feel free to leave a comment below or on our Facebook page!


Polished greetings,
Bea

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen