Montag, 24. Februar 2014

Sally Hansen Satin Glam Mosaic Color Blocking somewhat madness + review

Hello folks and a warm "Servus" from Vienna,

so on Facebook I announced you that I had a "freak out day two" last week, and this was the day when I FINALLY got my hands on Sally Hansen Satin Glam Collection! I went to my local supply I think every day since this collection was announced and it took AGES! Even after my last visit on Thursday I wrote Dani sayin "this collection will never ever come", then I went to another store and suddenly *bam* IT WAS THERE! I think I screamed so loud that everyone in the store thought the Zalando man came in (for non-German readers: Zalando has an advert where all the girls scream when postman brings their Zalando packets, and their slogan is "Schrei vor Glück", which rougly translates to "scream from luck").

So, after I was lucky, I got my hands on the whole collection that hit Austrish stores, and this made me create a real cool mani which I want to share with you now, including a little review of those little treasuries.


Colors
from left to right

Go Gold
Crystalline
Chic Pink
Teal Tulle
Taffeta
Silk Onyx


First I have to say that I really LOVE the design of the bottles! I think they fit the flair of the collection perfect! Sadly, the bottles are a bit smaller than normal Sally Hansen ones are (10 ml VS normal Sally Hansen 14.7 ml). Let's move up to the colors itself! I took the photos focused on the swatch, so the bluriness of the bottle is planned here. The left photo shows the colors from above, the in a flat angle, I hoped this brings the colors out better.



Go Gold is a beautiful satin polish, but in my opinion it has a little bronze tone in it, especially when you compare it to misslyn Gold-Plate Satin Polish or to OPI Love.Angel.Music.Baby, which are a lighter toned gold. The formula was good, it was opaque with two coats. I encourage you to stay with us so you can read a comparison post of this three polishes within the next few months!




Crystalline is a white pearl satin polish that looks slightly iridescent when the sun hits it. Unfortunately I had to take the photos in my cold white LED lighting of my new "nail desk", which doesn't bring that shimmer out. To get this opaque you will need about 3-4 coats, I gave up after 3. I think this would be better layered over white and then use it for a satin finish. I've read a review of this collection on reddit about one month ago, and there the author stated that this polish could be used over any polish as a "Satin Top Coat". Unfortunately I forgot to save the link, otherwise you would find the source here.



Chic Pink is a color that I would rather call "Chic Coral", this looks more coral-ly to me than pink. This one also needs a bit more coats, the color is very thin in the beginning and gets more like the one in the bottle the more coats you paint. I used three coats.




Teal Tulle is one of the two colors I was really looking forward to! I LOVE petrol, this is something like "my color", and so I was excited that I got this one! This was fully opaque with one coat (!).




Taffeta (I continuously wrote this with double T than double F, dammit!) is the second color I was excited to get because I love a good purple nearly as much as a good petrol color! This was also opaque with one coat.




Silk Onyx is the black satin polish, I bought this for one reason: compare it with OPI 4 In The Morning, because I bought this 'cause I thought Satin Glam Edition would not come to Austria, haha! So stay tuned for a comparison post here soon!

Review of the collection
Brush
Normally I have some issues with the Sally Hansen brushes ... I cannot deal with them. The brush is rather short, but on a long holder that is fixed in a rather long polish cap. This is quite meh to me. The Satin Glam bottles have a shorter cap and therefore a shorter holder, which makes application for me easier. I totally blame that on my polishing skills, but I want to share my experience with you!

Formula
What I can say is that the formula was quite good and easy to apply. Where this was not the case, I stated above and what went wrong there.

Once dried down ...
Here I would like to add that - although I painted thin coats - the drying process took AGES. Of course, normally I would have finished a design with a fast drying Top Coat, in my case I also use a Sally Hansen product, the "Insta Dri". Here of course I leave that out because this would ruin the satin finish. Due to this long drying process I got the first hacks one hour after finishing my mani, which disappointed me. But I learned: Satin Glam needs more time, so the next time I use the polishes I'm going to do them when I know I don't have to leave home for the next three hours, lol!

What I can say too since I own one polish of Misslyn Satin Metal collection and one of the Satins of OPI Gwen Stefani collection, is that the Sally Hansens are very satin-y, but I think especially the OPI has a bit more smooth-y finish. When I have a satin polish on I always keep to pet/stroke my nails to enjoy the soft finish which makes me look like an idiot, haha :D so since I wore my OPI about two weeks I go I can say that I enjoyed petting my nails more (if you know what I mean ... this sounds ridiculous ...). But this could be a very personal meaning.

Now on to my mani ... I wanted to try a first chevron mani because I thought I couldn't get the satins as I mentioned before, so when I got them, I decided to do the mani that came up in my mind when the polishes were announced including with the first pictures ... here it is! I used every satin polish except for Crystalline.







This is a simple scotch-tape-mani. To get the edges without messing the done nails up I scotch-taped them ... the accent nail with one scotch-tape-triangle from the cuticles, and the other nails I scotch taped also with one triangle from the cuties and one from the top of the nail. Normally I would have waited for the polish to dry and added the tape again to the dried polish, but since this took very long as I mentioned before, I freehanded the before-scotchtaped-areas. This is why this might look not perfect, but I'm really happy with how this turned out, though! To me it looks like a mosaic color blocking braided somewhat mani, I can't decide how to call this ... but it has something of all this techniques without being part of one of those ... if you know what I mean ...

I created the scotch-tape-triangles with cutting the tape into 8 little squares and then cut them diagonally. I have a photo of the result here for you, so you can imagine how I started. One advice that I can give you and that I got from my Lacquersista <3 Dani is that you put the scotch tape on your skin once, so that it doesn't stick that hard on the nail as it would without this, and to keep the polish from getting off when you take off the tape and therefore ruining your mani.





Let's finish off with a pic of the mani and me trying to get my thumb also on the foto, lol xD


I hope you like the review and the design with the polishes! If you would like to give some feedback please do so on our Facebook page or in the comments below!


Polished greetings,
Bea

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen